I managed to stick with my Achaemenid Persians and achieve the target of finishing a unit of infantry archers and a unit of horse archers. They are all wearing Median dress and would be troops drawn from the provinces. I am generally distinguishing more elite, royal troops by using yellow head dresses and more purple in their uniforms.
For the basing to use with Field of Glory, I cut 80mm strips of thing cardboard, painted them brown and stuck the figures down with Blue Tac, which makes them easy to move around without movement trays.
For the infantry, about half of the figures had all their basic colours on already, while the rest were only painted up to a single uniform colour. Now with a bit of highlighting throughout and patterns on their clothing, they can finally pass muster. These are not sparabara, which I have another regiment of that still needs to get the detailing treatment.
The horse archers are the first of three units of 12 cavalry each I need for the army. Since the others don’t have much paint on them yet, I might continue doing base colours on them first.