I have a 1,000 points army list for a Necromancer themed Warhammer force using the 8th Edition Vampire Counts book that I am aiming to complete. Rather than painting the Master Necromancer to lead it, I decided to paint up a third regiment of 30 skeletons however that isn’t actually part of the list. Because one can never have enough skeletons. Having just finished the first base of 15, I wanted to record my progress.
I built these some years ago out of a mixture of parts from all three generations of Citadel plastic kits. The majority of parts are from the first set, but I needed to stretch them a bit as I was running out. It does give the unit some nice variety, although in terms of sculpts the originals are my favourites. The second incarnation was too chunky and the weapons too oversized. The newest models are nicely proportioned, but all have a strongly forward leaning combat crouch which is fine to mix things up, but looks strange in a whole regiment of reanimated bone warriors.
The plastic banner is very nicely modelled in my opinion, and I stuck with the plain black, no nonsense scheme for it and the shields. The unit champion got the obligatory decapitated head that every leader in the army carries (I believe it is part of the summoning and binding ritual). I did add some blood effect to his sword this time, in a first trial of Army Painter’s Glistening Blood paint. Quite satisfied with the result, which takes one application where previously I would have used two colours and a wash. The musician is a metal sculpt I had left from the previous reorganisation of my undead forces into Oldhammer and Not-so-Oldhammer armies. It was already finished and I just gave the bones a repaint.